.

.

5/17/2013

Last day.

Last night I kept dreaming of this last day at work, and saying goodbye. I didn't think it would be this hard!
The first job I ever had was at a daycare, right after I turned 16. I worked with the 1-2 year olds. I don't remember a ton about that job, just rushing out of school every day to beat the traffic and drive the 30 minutes to my job. I still remember some of the kids, but I think I was more worried about getting them to like me than taking great care of them.
After about 6 months of working there just after school, I worked full time during the summer for about a month. I played a different role there, more of a "helper" than a "teacher".  Then, I decided being around kids all the time was making me really sick (for real, I was sick as a dog all the time!) and I wanted a "cooler" job, so I went into Red Robin on a whim because I had heard there was a hostess opening, and applied, interviewed, and got the job all in the space of about 15 minutes.
I don't remember my last day at the daycare. I remember I loved the kids, and I had ok relationships with the ladies I worked with, but they were all older than me, and I always felt a little out of place. I remember jotting down my notice on a sticky note, but I don't remember feeling sad about leaving the kiddos, only excited about my new cooler job where I'd make more money and see more people I knew.
Then with Red Robin, working as a hostess for a year, then a waitress for another, I had great relationships with my coworkers, they were my friends. That summer before senior year my two best friends Aimee and Megan both started hostessing with me, and we had so much fun working together.
But as that came to a close before I went off to school, I still don't remember being sad, I just remember one week I went in to get my schedule and I just wasn't scheduled, so it wasn't like I had a last day or anything grand.
My part time job my last semester in college as a professor's assistant was fun, but not sad to leave, not a lot of emotional attachment there, then my terrible job I held for 6 weeks last summer as a "personal assistant" (slave) was only sad to leave because I was making an incredible amount of moolah.
So fast forward to now. I love each one of my coworkers, they are my dear friends, something that I've found hard to come by in my life. I love each of my little ones, they bring me such joy to care for, this is the most rewarding job I have ever had. And then there are the parents, who I have such great relationships with! I will miss the parents so much! I hate the looks on their faces when talking to me about their baby's new teacher and how they are worried about the changes and I know I am causing that worry by leaving.
I guess what I mean is this is a very personal job, which fits incredibly well for me. I am surrounded by love, and get to pour that back, and jobs like that are very rare.
I am incredibly excited for my new job, but especially today, it is clouded. I didn't think it'd be so hard, but I will probably be crying today. I will always treasure this part of my life, and the people that made it so wonderful. I was truly blessed and meant to find that opportunity at Great Beginnings. It has made me a better friend, a better worker, a better person, and a better (future) mother.
And today. 5 of the 6 kids I'll have today are ones that have been there since I started. Austin, Max, Fischer, Avery, and Anastasia. Ones that couldn't even crawl when I started, and I've seen blossom into these funny, emotional, and smart little people, each with their own personality that I know and love. All of the other babies in the class (who come on different days) have all started after I did, and I love each of them as well, but it seems fitting that my attention will be on my big kids, the ones who I've seen grow up the most, and the ones dearest to my heart.
Sorry for the nostalgia, I just want to remember this place, and the way it has impacted my life, forever.

No comments :

Post a Comment